Friday, November 18, 2011

My Life Lately

Ok, so some of my friends have been giving me grief for not making any blog posts in, like, forever; so here's one now.

The reason I haven't been posting in so long is because I'm on an amazing project and I'm really not allowed to show any of the art yet. Now before you roll your eyes, know this: I hate it when people write posts about art that they can't show you (Yes, I know, I'm doing that now. Thanks.) It's the worst and it's super annoying, so I decided just not to blog at all. However, with the help of some friends, I have come to the realization that not posting causes people to forget you even exist. Therefore, new blog post!

So, what's been going on in my life since my last post?

Welp, the first and pretty much the biggest thing to ever happen to me was the birth of my son, Brady. He showed up in July and that pretty much rocked my universe. All of the planning that we did ahead of time just wasn't enough! I realize now that you can never be prepared for something like this. It's hard work, but man, he's so awesome! Fatherhood really is the greatest thing ever.



Concerning the big secret project, all I can say is that it's an eight issue story arc and that I am doing interior pencils/inks and covers. Also, it's VERY cool! I feel so lucky to have landed it, as it's afforded me the opportunity to grow as an artist. It involves a whole new universe unlike anything that's out there, so the project has really tested my skills as far as world building and concepting. Every little aspect of this book had been designed. It's super exciting. Not to mention that the people I am working with are an exceptional bunch and are all super talented!

I can't wait until this thing is out in the public, as it has been an all consuming factor in my life. It's tough to come home from a full time job and bust out a respectable amount of pages per week. The only reason I do it is because I love it, and when it's out, hopefully you'll love it too!

In September, I decided to do something that I've never done before… I actually went to a con as an artist and not as an attendee! That was crazy but super fun! Detroit Fanfare was just the place for me to do my first con… not too big, not too small. Even though the attendance was pretty abysmal, the con was a great time & 'm really glad I did it. I got to make a little cash, hang with some friends and meet some new ones as well. Got to do some sketches too! For some reason, I only took pictures of the Captain Marvel sketches that I did. I don't get it.

In the meantime, I just keep drawing and try to be with my family as much as possible. I couldn't do any of this without my wife and child at my side. They are the best!

UPDATE: Kind of funny that this happened the same day that I spent all of my time writing this stinkin' blog post, but just out is a sneak peek of the project I was describing above! And it's on Boing Boing, so that's cool!

Also, I'll be posting more about Virga very soon!
















No comments: